Wednesday, December 2, 2015


Mayhem and Magic, For Real

November was not a month of unmixed blessings. In fact, something truly horrible happened during November, so I’ll get to that first.

 No secret I rescue dachshunds. About four years ago I received a bonded pair from a puppy mill in Big Spring, Texas. Bella and Bam-Bam had spent their first couple of years in concrete crates and never learned how to interact with people or, really, be dogs. To this day Bam-Bam is terrified of men, and Bella was uber-shy around strangers. I realized after I’d fostered them for a while that they weren’t suitable candidates for adoption, so I kept them, and we loved each other. They both were fine with me, even though they were still unable to relate to strangers.

Well, on Friday the 13th, Jazzy and Cookie, who grew up on the streets and have absolutely no self-esteem issues, ganged up on Bella. I rushed her to the vet, where she was stitched up. When I picked her up on Saturday, she seemed to be doing well, but on Sunday evening Bella had a stroke or a seizure, and she died early Monday morning. My heart is still broken. My neighbor and fellow writer, Ann Wilmer-Lasky, wrote a Haiku for Bella, and here’s a picture of Bella taken by her husband Barry:

 

Treasured Friend: A Haiku
Innocence, truly,
Has no protection against
Pack mentality.

Okay, that’s the ugly stuff. My heart will probably never get over aching for Bella. I feel kind of like a murderer, in fact. Gah.

On to nicer things. Several people won copies of the audio edition of HUNGRY SPIRITS, narrated by Denice Stradling (who is now working away on GENTEEL SPIRITS, bless her). I’ll be getting in touch with each of the winners individually.

I also got the cover art for Daisy Gumm Majesty’s next adventure, BRUISED SPIRITS. I love it:

 
Also, Darlene Allen has finished narrating THANKSGIVING ANGELS for audio, so it will be available in December (I think). I’ll be giving away audio copies at the end of the month in my contest. If it’s somehow or other not available in December, I’ll give away copies in January.

 
And December is the month UNSETTLED SPIRITS, Daisy Gumm Majesty’s latest adventure, will be released! I’ll be giving away either e-copies or paper copies of UNSETTLED SPIRITS in my December contest.

Therefore, if you’d like to enter my December contest, for which Bam-Bam (who is coping much better with the loss of Bella than I am) will choose wieners at the end of the month, please send me your name and home address (if you want a paper copy of UNSETTLED SPIRITS) to alice@aliceduncan.net

 

 
If you’d like to visit my woefully out-of-date web site, the URL is http://aliceduncan.net/ and if you’re interested in being Facebook friends, please visit https://www.facebook.com/alice.duncan.925

Thanks!

 

7 comments:

Allan J. Emerson said...

You are no murderer Alice! Bella wouldn't have had as much life or as good a one if you hadn't rescued her.

Alice Duncan said...

Thanks, Allan, but I feel as thought it was my fault. Can't help it. She did have a good last four years, though, so I guess I can take heart from that.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Of course I entered your contest. I am glad you are putting the number of Daisy's adventures on the cover now. That helps readers keep them in order.

We were all so sorry for Bella and you. She was lucky to have you for her mama for as long as she did. She knew you loved her and you gave her not only a home, but a loving home. Don't feel guilty, Alice. Be proud you are the person you are!

D'Ann said...

I'm so sorry about Bella! She knew she was loved and cared for. Hugs.

Alice Duncan said...

Thanks, Caroline and D'Ann. I still feel SO bad about what happened to Bella. She didn't deserve that. Thanks for your support.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Alice,

You have such a kind, generous heart! You've rescued countless animals and helped them survive as long as possible.

Alice Duncan said...

Thanks, Jacquie. The only hard part (well, not the only hard part) is when something like this happens. But I'll keep rescuing wieners. Can't seem to help myself.